Harry Lee Junior Program
We have a long-standing tradition of supporting junior development and getting kids on bikes at the Hellyer County Park Velodrome. We are pleased to announce the Harry Lee Junior program in honor of young Harry who was a vibrant part of the junior scene here.
At this time, the program has one training day.
- Tuesday afternoons: Juniors age 10-18 and Under-23 (ages 19-22)
Hellyer Velodrome gives back to bicycling and the community with a Junior/U23 Development program. We give volunteer guidance, training, and mentorship at the Hellyer Park Velodrome in San Jose, California. The program gives 10-22 year old future champions a safe environment to grow socially, mentally, physically, and competitively with the emphasis on sportsmanship and respect. Winning is not the first priority, but how to win and lose graciously is.
Hellyer Velodrome Junior/U23 Development program welcomes all young men and women REGARDLESS OF CLUB AFFILIATION.
We look forward to creating the next wave of Hellyer champions and offering a fun and safe environment for juniors to thrive in.
Tuesday training sessions – Afternoons 3:30pm to 6:30pm
These sessions are suitable for riders 10-22 (younger riders may be admitted with prior consent from Coach Lanier). These are also proper training workouts with a mixture of skills and conditioning work.
- Children must be able to listen to, and respond to instructions from the coaches. This is very important for safety reasons.
- Children should be tall enough to fit bikes (inseam of 21 inches, height 56 inches).
- Parent and children must sign a waiver to ride on the track.
- Parent and children must register online prior to session.
What to Bring:
- Helmet (free rentals available)
- Comfortable exercise clothing
- Closed-toe shoes. We recommend athletic shoes or cycling specific shoes.
- Snacks, water and good attitude
- If your child uses a clipless pedal/cleat system, bring the shoes and pedals with you. We can put your pedals on a rental bike.
- Fixed gear bicycle, if you have one.
Want to help?
- Please bring kids to the sessions. Communicate about the program to your friends, neighbors, and family.
- Volunteer during the session to ring bells, turn lap cards, etc…
Please contact Coach Lanier firstname.lastname@example.org
Coach Andrew Lanier: Is a Hellyer junior program stalwart having been involved now for over 15 years, an experienced, respected and knowledgeable coach who has been instrumental in the performances of many of Hellyer’s outstanding juniors champions.